Re: Power adapter for europe (was: TP in Poland)

Thanks for all the responses, a few comments to make things
a little clearer in what seems a big mess.

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:10:04 +1000 (EST), Alden S Klovdahl wrote:

>all you need is one intelligent power converter (110-240; 50/60), which ibm
>makes, one power cord - i prefer a 240 volt one though i don't know that it
>really matters, and  a series of adapters to deal with different plug configs.

I have to AC adapters. One is the original, which plugs only into the US wall socket,
the second is what they call the world-wide adapter, which has a special sunken
plug to which various cords may fit. On both it is written that they take an input voltage
of 110V-240V; 50/60. meaning *both* can theoretically be used all over the world, it's
just the quesion of connecting.

>alternatively, assuming you have the intelligent power pack, you can probably
>buy a computer power cord in any country you go to for not that much.  the end
>that goes into the power pack is universal; the end that goes into the wall
>will vary by country you are in.

That's my question. I have never seen universal cords that would plug into the
IBM adapter. I thought they are only made by IBM. Does this kind of plug have
a name?

On Thu, 8 Aug 96 14:55 EDT, David Jones wrote:

>for the ThinkPad 701C/701CS.  According to it the part numbers of the
>various power cords are:
>
>	US, Canada	04H6905
>	Asia Pacific	04H6906
>	Latin America	04H6907
>	Europe		04H6908
>	Japan		04H6909

The 4H6905, which I bought, is a fused cord that fits UK wall sockets. It cost about $ 5.
The 4H6908, which I was told is European by one IBMer, fits actually the US socket, so it
can't be good for europe. It cost's less than $ 2.
I did not buy the 6906, which one IBMer called it Asia Pacific, and the other one said it was
 for Europe, was supposed to cost more than $14, if it is indeed the European poer cord,
 the price is outrageous.

Gabriel Ash
Notre-Dame