Re: Linux on a 755CX

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995 washide@cqo6.whirlpool.com wrote:

> Has anyone gotten Linux to run on the 755CX yet? I've tried all the
> [...]
> The boot disk comes up just fine. I'm prompted to insert the root
> disk - once I do I get the following error:
>
>   Kernel panic: VFS 1.2.13 Unable to mount root fs on 02:00
>
> ...and then we're locked up.

I recently surmounted a similar, and *possibly* related problem on my
701cs.  It turns out that i was using an uncompressed rootdisk image,
which was causing the problem.  This despite the fact that the boot
mechanism detects that it's uncompressed and proceeds to "load direct", or
some such message.  Switching to a gzipped image disk (using gzip and dd
to write it directly to a floppy, from my unix workstation) was the
solution.

ken manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us		  (703) 620-8990 x259
		1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100
			Reston, VA 22091