Re: Scheme pre-R6RS Workshop at ICFP - What is the Point?

   From: Kent Pitman <kmp@harlequin.com>
   Date: Wed, 27 May 98 16:58:29 EDT

   I think the two essential steps are two synchronize on "process" (how
   to compute membership and voting procedure)--not because I think it's
   pleasant but because otherwise I don't know how to get to the next
   step, and then to craft a charter (statement of intent).

This certainly doesn't sound pleasant, but I can see that it
would be helpful and might be necessary for future progress.
The membership issue is especially worrisome.  I would much
rather be out voted than disenfranchised.

As I understand it, the current scheme is that anyone can
join the mailing list and attend meetings.  For votes taken at
meetings there is one vote per attendee.  For email votes,
it's one vote per person on the list.  Passage is by consensus:
there must no `no' votes (and I would assume at least on `yes'
one).

It is already the case that having a meeting leaves anyone
who can't attend out in the cold.

   In my
   opinion, the "charter" is the one essential document that CL had that
   let it move forward in the face of deadlock.

Is the CL charter available?  CLtL lists eight `goals' in the
introduction, but says nothing about their relative priority.

                                      -Richard