Re: mathematical models

   ML is the only language (I know of) that has a fully mathematical
   specification.

I remember reading a paper around 1977 that contained a W-grammar specification
of the syntax and semantics of an Algol-68-like language. (No it was not the
Algol-68 report. That contained a specification only of the (context sensitive)
syntax of Algol-68.) The basic idea was that the W-grammar generated strings
of the form input$program$output.

I have long forgotten the title and author of the paper. Can someone refresh
my memory? I remember being rather impressed with it at the time.
    Jeff (http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi.html)