Re: Why would anyone want opacity?

From: "Michael R. Blair" <ziggy@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Why would anyone want opacity?
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 15:28:33 EDT

> So are you now proposing that such a non-generic spectrum be added to the
> R5RS so you can write portable programs explicitly using non-generic
> arithmetic?

I am not proposing anything.  People seem to have fun challenging me
and my preference for strong typing.  I am just telling you how I
would do things in ML because people repeatedly claim certain things
can't be done in ML.  They might be right -- sometimes I can't do it
exactly the same way.  But usually there is a different way of doing
it, which often turns out to be more appealing anyway.

> I seriously doubt anyone would strongly object to such a proposal.

I probably would.  But then, perhaps I don't really care.

-Matthias