Re: Why would anyone want opacity?

|   Cc: blume@cs.Princeton.EDU, gjs@martigny.ai.mit.edu,
|	   rrrs-authors@martigny.ai.mit.edu
|   Date: Thu, 09 May 96 23:07:59 -0400
|   From: "ozan s. yigit" <oz@nexus.yorku.ca>
|

|   > Thus adding an ML-style type discipline would remove an ability that I
|   > now have.
|
|   but it is a tool, which as you point out, is seperate than the language.
|   languages by definition allow expression of some things and not others. are
|   you suggesting ML is type-checking your stuff on paper?

(Standard) ML as _a language_ is defined with a particular static type
discipline -- programs that violate it are illegal.  The constraints
are in the language, not in the tools/implementations.

Yes, you can write programs that look like ML and violate the type
discipline and no one will shoot you.  You are not writing ML,
however.