Re: GNU Extension Language Plans

On Mon, 24 Oct 1994 08:28:22 -0400, "John D. Ramsdell" <ramsdell@linus.mitre.org> said:

> As you all probably know, Richard Stallman announced plans to base a
> GNU Extension Language on Scheme.  For the purposes of this note,
> let me call the language GEL, because the language is supposed to be
> used as glue to join various parts of an application.  Scheme
> programs that distinquish between #f and (), and those that use the
> fact that symbol names are case insensitive will not have an obvious
> translation into GEL, but all others will.  Given the broad support
> for Scheme promised, I suggest that the Scheme Authors some how show
> support for Stallman's effort.  Maybe the group should post an
> endorsement of GEL on gnu.announce.  What do you think we should do
> to help?

I don't think that a Scheme standards group should post an endorsement
of an implementation that isn't compatible with the Scheme standards
that exist or that we are developing.  This doesn't mean that I don't
personally support his effort - I do, though I think that the case
sensitivity is a big mistake which has no significant benefits - just
that I don't think we shouldn't endorse his efforts speaking as a
Scheme standards group.

david carlton
carlton@math.mit.edu