macros expanding into definitions

   Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 13:23:48 -0500
   From: "R. Kent Dybvig" <dyb@garbo.cs.indiana.edu>

   Yes.  We should change the report to convert begin into a "splicing"
   construct when it appears at top level or within the body of a lambda
   or similar form.  That is, (begin form ...) should be valid iff
   form ... is valid in those contexts, and it should have the same
   meaning.  That is what the current syntax-case implementation does,
   although due to a bogus optimization, the distributed version messes it
   up in the case where the begin is the only expression in a lambda
   body.  With this rule, your first definition of define-multiple works
   both at top level and internally:

I agree.  I thought it was the intent of one of the last changes to
the semantics of BEGIN to make it splicing, but I guess I was
confused.