A few random I/O proposals

   The current Scheme I/O system is a toy.

Agreed.

   My functions return #f for failure.  Despite dire warnings from
   several people on comp.lang.scheme, I have NEVER been burnt by this
   (and I make lots of mistakes).

I believe you since I have not been bitten myself on my own code
because I am compulsive about testing return values (in C).  However,
I've had to debug and fix enough broken C/Unix software (which uses
this method) written by other people that I do not believe it is an
acceptable solution for any language, and certainly not for Scheme.