Proposal for EVAL

       Now you have me worried.  Is LOAD going away?  Even as lowly a
       language as C has the ability to include files.  I consider the IEEE
       spec a toy without some ability to include files.  There is not much
       point to vicinity if there is no LOAD.  I think that the LOAD
       specification could be made weak enough to allow it act as INCLUDE
       (All load files static during execution/compilation); this change
       would take away its ability to implement EVAL and REPL.

    As far as I know, no one has proposed removing LOAD from the report.

It was definitely proposed at one point (I think at Snowbird), in the
interests of allowing "Pascal-like" implementations, but I guess it
was nixed.  I had apparently flipped the bit, and did not check the
report.