BEGIN in Scheme's Abstract Syntax

   The major reason is that when doing proofs about Scheme programs,....

   Another potential benefit of this change is one could simplify the
   semantics of Scheme by

Hm. Silly me. I always thought that one of the primary uses of a
programming language was for people to write programs with. How stupid
of me to forget that the major use was to prove theorems about
programs written in it. Or, barring about that, I foolishly forgot
that most people spend their time staring at and admiring the
semantics of the language. Of course, as we all know, the principal
means of determining new Scheme constructs is to pore over the
semantics and locate cute little things that could be exposed - recall
that this is how that marvel call-with-current-continuation was
discovered.

Well, in my day, we we able to pretty easily reduce slightly more
complex syntax to a slightly more simple version for our proofs.  I
guess this is too much to ask the playboy mathematicians of today.

			-rpg-