re: Dynamic binding

    Date: 12 Dec 89  0912 PST
    From: Dick Gabriel <RPG@sail.stanford.edu>

    Gyro writes:

       But we Schemers have abandoned GOTO in favor of the procedure call in
       tail-recursive position, and rightly so, the idea being that we slightly....

    Not actually: we have only made it harder to spell and split its name
    in two parts, one of which the user gets to choose. It is now called
    call-with-current-continuation/<a name of your choosing here>.

I'm not talking about CALL/CC.  (In fact, I'm not quite sure what you
mean; invoking a captured continuation does not seem at all like GOTO.)
I'm talking about the observation that if it is argument evaluation, not
function invocation, that saves context -- this is the fundamental way
that a Scheme implementation differs from that of other Lisps -- then
GOTO is just like invoking a function of no arguments.  (This is all
discussed in the "LAMBDA: The Ultimate X" papers, of course.)

-- Scott