[net%TUB.BITNET: Questions]

Could the responsible parties please answer these questions, and post
the questions and answers to the scheme mailing list?  Thanks.
-Jonathan

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 87 19:28:38 +0100
From: Oliver Laumann <net%TUB.BITNET at MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
To:   scheme-request at mc.lcs.mit.edu
Re:   Questions

I have two minor questions about the Revised^3 Report of Scheme.

1) The report mentions two procedures (close-input-port <port>) and
   (close-output-port <port>).  I don't see why it is necessary to
   have two procedures to close ports.  Wouldn't it be sufficient
   to have something like "close-port" that can be applied to both
   types of ports?

2) What is the exact difference between (write-char <char>) and
   (display <char>)?  "write-char" seems to be redundant.  Is "display"
   supposed to terminate its output by a space or newline or something
   like this?

I'm sorry if the answers are obvious; I'm relatively new to Scheme.
--
Regards,
    Oliver Laumann, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.