display and write-char

    DISPLAY writes characters like WRITE-CHAR does.

It seems to me that this only works if the character type is
distinct from other types.  I would not want display to print
an integer that happens to be a character (assuming integers
are used to represent characters) as the character value
instead of the expected sequence of numerals.

For example, if the character #\A is equivalent to the integer
65, then it seems that either

  1) (write-char #\A) prints A and (display 65) prints A, or

  2) (display 65) prints 65 and (write-char #\A) prints 65.

I think the original intent was that (write-char #\A) print A
and (display 65) print 65, even if #\A and 65 are the same.

Am I missing something?

Kent