define

1. I think the discussion has clarified, at least for me, the difference
between "internal" and "incremental" define.  I was certainly thinking about
"incremental" define, which happens conceptually at run-time.  As I gather it,
the idea is that internal define is JUST SYNTAX, which might be formalized as
something like

(define-equivalent-syntax		;; hypothetical pseudocode!
  (<context-for-internal-define>
   (define name1 body1) ...
  (letrec
    ((name1 body1) ...)

The only place where "internal" define acts truly incrementally is at the top
level.

If this is correct, then my objections are considerably lessened.  The major
complication of internal define, then, is sorting out in exactly which
contexts this syntax is permissable.  This is a matter on which I think there
can be reasoned debate.

2. Will's proposal looks OK to me.

3. (make-local-variable 'foo) was a joke.  No one seemed to get it.  Sorry
'bout that.

4. Thanks to jinx and to jar for their thoughtful replies.  In particular
thanks to jar (I think) for extracting the historical record.  I say "jar (I
think)" because I've managed to lose my copy ($%^&! VMS mailer); could someone
retransmit it?  Tnx.

Mitch