meaning of local define

    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 86 15:40:53 EST
    From: Jonathan A Rees <JAR@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>

    LETREC may evaluate the right-hand sides in any order it pleases.  But
    one could expect for several reasons that local DEFINEs are evaluated
    left to right (or top to bottom, depending on where the line breaks
    are).  The conjunction of these properties is in contradiction with the
    assertion that local DEFINE's can always turn into a LETREC.

    I'm not a big fan of local define's, but I think that if they are
    implemented, they should have right-to-left semantics.  I believe
    local-DEFINE partisans will agree with this....

Should the second indicated place read "left-to-right", or am I
misunderstanding your intent?
--Guy