named-lambda

Maybe somebody can explain why REC is superior to NAMED-LAMBDA.  I'm
not particularly attached to NAMED-LAMBDA, but I just don't see any
difference between both (except that I consider REC considerably
uglier).

They are special forms anyway, not essential special forms, and as I
understand it, the only effect of having them on the report is that
the name can mean nothing else (reserved for that purpose if at all).

What I object to is having define by default use REC or NAMED-LAMBDA
rather than LAMBDA (p 18. MIT AI-Memo 848 version).