READ-CHAR-READY?

I have a little trouble reading READ-CHAR-READY? ; it sounds like it
ought to be an imperative (read a ready character), until you get to
the question mark, and then it's hard to know what to think.  How about
something that sounds like it's asking a question?  Something like:
  WOULD-THE-READ-CHAR-PROCEDURE-BLOCK-IF-I-CALLED-IT?  only shorter.
How about INPUT-AVAILABLE?  or IMMEDIATELY-READABLE?  or
READABLE-WITHOUT-BLOCKING?  or something like that.  Does anyone else
like INPUT-AVAILABLE? ?  This is what it was always supposed to be
called in Yale Scheme, except that it never got implemented.

Jonathan