Scheme String Operations

I should point out that there were people at the workshop who felt
strongly that strings should not be mutable.  I don't much care one way
or the other.  If the things which use the "..." syntax are immutable
then there ought to be such a thing as vector-of-character; also, if
strings are immutable then it's not clear how they are different from
symbols (maybe just that they self-evaluate).  But those of you who
strongly think (or thought) that strings should be immutable should
speak up.

Jonathan