basemap portals are all messed up

Hi Guys,

Attached is a picture of a route on the basemap with portals shown as
white circles. You'll note that portals are pretty messed up here -- there
are WAY too many connecting various spaces. I'm not sure how these get
generated, but there should be a stage in the basemap code where the
number of portals is reduced. Perhaps it is best to have N portals along
each edge, with the constraints that (a) the portals follow some
reasonable density, and (b) for two neighboring spaces there is at least
one portal connecting the two. I am sure we need way fewer portals than we
have now, and I think this is why routes look a bit more twisty than they
should.

Also, MIC -- how are you coming on elevators? Can we get together tomorrow
to talk about automating data generation?

-Patrick

--
* * *

Patrick James Nichols II
Graduate Student, MIT Computer Graphics Group
http://graphics.csail.mit.edu/~pnichols