Re: athena

peter, i agree that athena would be a good thing to have in the
lab.  the students maintained an athena SGI some years ago (i
paid the athena fees that existed then), and got decent use from
it.

regarding the issues you raise (space, adel's time, and h/w
budget).  space and money are cheap.  time is not (patrick, you
can misquote me on that).  time, including adel's time, is the
limiting factor here.  what you propose would increase the
heterogeneity of the lab in two ways:  s/w (athena) and h/w
(sun platform), and therefore increase his maintenance load
far more than, say, adding another O2.

one way to ameliorate this is for students to take the lead
on the acquisition and install.

adel, can you comment?  how painful would it be to support
linux & sun athena in the lab?  would you be comfortable if
the students were to do it themselves?

so, here are a couple of suggestions:

  1) for now, let's do a trial run with one linux and one SGI
machine (not sun).  yes, SGI is degenerating, but there's still
much use in that configuration, and setting it up should be
easy for the students with little overhead for adel.  (adel,
can you help them find space in the lab for two new heads, or
one new head with an appropriate switch?)

  2) get me some plausible numbers for a) a suitable fast
sparc machine and b) person-hours to set up and maintain it
as athena linux.  i'll discuss with adel where to go next.

seth.