bootstrapping idea

here's an idea for "bootstrapping" the campus generation process.

suppose we take the 2D "base map" in DXF format as the master
plan for campus.  then, when we parse it, for every named (or
numbered) 2D closed contour "X" found in a designated layer,
a 2D->3D extrusion step is launched, using floorplan, height,
and siting data from a designated set of URLs _which can be
derived from the original name X_ .

in other words, we and DOF agree on a set of conventions for
what it means for an entity to be a building in the basemap.
(the entity must have a name; must occur in a certain layer;
and must be accompanied by various data at certain URLs on
the floorplan server.)  the nice thing about this approach is
that it keys the generation of campus onto a single, rather
simple file -- the basemap.  moreover, suppose DOF wants to
add or subtract a building from the generated 3D model, for
purposes of planning or visualization, or even to reflect
real future changes in campus.  all they need to do is
modify the base map (and ancillary files, if they are adding
a building), and force our generator to run.

prof. t.