A trilogy, expressing the vision behind the work of the Genesis Enterprise, including
- The original vision statement, including a larger discussion of the Genesis System and a discussion of the role of Rao's vision system.
- The vision, with an emphasis on five methodological steps: identify the competence to
be understood; formulate computational problems; propose computational solutions;
develop an exploratory implementation; and crystalize emergent principles
- The vision, with a review of history, discussion of Turing, and a focus on asking the
right questions about how we are different from and the same as other primates.
We describe the current status of the Genesis story understanding system in a
white paper on story
understanding. Additional information is in a paper on
Genesis and Genesis related theses
- Interpreting Author Intentions by Analyzing StoryModulation, Suri Bandler, MEng, 2019.
- Vision by Alignment, Adam Kraft, PhD, 2018.
- Using Near Misses to Teach Concepts to a Human Intelligence System, Jake Barnwell, MEng, 2018.
- A Computational Characterization of
Domain-Based Causal Reasoning Development in
Children, Caroline Aronoff, MEng, 2018.
- Computational Recognition and Comprehension of
Humor in the Context of a General Error
Investigation System, Ada Taylor, MEng, 2018.
- The Unified Plausibility Parser: how story-understanding systems can read stories written for humans, Emanuele Ceccarelli, MEng, 2017.
- A Commonsense Approach to Story Understanding, Bryan Michael Williams, Meng, 2017.
- Story-enabled Hypothetical Reasoning, Dylan X. Holmes, SM, 2017.
- NeverMind: An Interface for Human Memory Augmentation, Oscar Rosello, MS etc., 2017.
- Who Knows What? Perspective-Enabled Story Understanding, Jessica Marie Noss, MEng, 2017.
- Artificial Emphathy: Using Vector Space Modeling and Mixed Scope Alignment to Infer Emotional States of Characters in Stories, Ryan Cherian Alexander, MEng, 2016.
- Driving Story Generation with Learnable Character Models, Matthew Paul Fay, PhD, 2014.
- Audience Aware Computational Discourse Generation for Instruction and Persuasion, Eren Sila Sayan, MEng, 2014.
- Recognizing Actions using Embodiment & Empathy, Robert Louis McIntyre, MEng, 2014.
- Old Man Coyote Stories: Cross-Cultural Story Understanding in the Genesis Story Understanding System, Wolfgang Victor Hayden Yarlott, MEng, 2014.
- A Study in Human Attention to Guide Computational Action Recognition, Sam Sinai, MEng, 2014.
- Integrating Bottom-up and Top-Down Information, Giuliano Pezzolo Giacaglia, MEng, 2014.
- Culturally Based Story Understanding, Hiba Awad, MEng, 2013.
- Recognizing Simple Human Actions by Exploiting Regularities in Pose Sequences, Nikola Otasevic, MEng, 2013.
- Of Intent and Action: Implementing Personality Traits for Storytelling Through Concept Patterns, Susan S. Song, MEng, 2012.
- Story Retrieval and Comparison Using Concept Patterns, Caryn E. Krakauer, MEng, 2012.
- PUPIL Constructing the Space of Visual Attention, Moritz Philipp Kassner and William Rhoades Patera, MEng, 2012.
- Detecting High Level Story Elements from Low Level Data, Erik R. Speed, MEng, 2012.
- Enabling Imagination through Story Alignment, Matthew Paul Fay, MEng, 2012.
- Learning Narrative Structure from Annotated Folktales, Mark Alan Finlayson, PhD, 2011.
- A Model for Transition-Based Visiospatial Pattern Recognition, Telmo Luis Correa, Jr, MEng, 2011.
- Story Understanding in Genesis: Exploring Automatic PLot Construction through Commonsense Reasoning, Harold William Capen Low, IV, MEng, 2011.
- Disambiguating Words with Self-Organizing Maps, Martin Marcel Couturier, MEng, 2011.
- Word Sense Disambiguation Through Lattice Learning, Elyi Stickgold, MEng, 2011.
- Story Analogies with Structure
Mapping and Plot Units, Jesse Dunietz, Advanced Undergraduate Project, 2011.
- Text to Text: Plot Unit Searches Generated from English, David Douglas Nackoul, MEng, 2010.
- Learning Commonsense Knowledge from the Interpretation of Individual Experiences, Glidden, MEng, 2009.
- Learning Meaning in Genesis, Cooper, MEng, 2009.
- Investigation of Cultural Biases in Human Moral Recall: A Computationally Grounded Study, Kim, MEng, 2009.
- Understanding English with Lattice-Learning, Klein, MEng, 2008.
- Learning, Using Examples, to Translate Phrases and Sentences to Meanings, Kraft, MEng, 2007.
- Building Representations from Natural Language, Seifter, MEng, 2007.
- Modeling Trust in Human Conversation, Miller, MEng, 2006.
- Container Trajectories, Dominik Rabiej, Advanced Undergraduate Project, 2006.
- Learning Commonsense Categorical Knowledge in a
Thread Memory System, Stamatoiu, MEng, 2004.
- Self-Organizing Event Maps, Seth Ronald Tardiff, MEng,
- Representing and Analyzing Temporal Complexity in Children's Story Books, Madleina Scheidegger, MEng,
- Intrinsic Representation: Bootstrapping Symbols from
Experience, Stephen David Larson, MEng, 2003.
- Barnyard Politics: A Decision Rationale Representation
for the Analysis of Simple Political Situations, Arian Shadadi, MEng, 2003.
- Bidirectional Natural Language Parsing using Streams
and Counterstreams, Keith A Bonawitz, MEng, 2003.
- Connecting Language and Vision Using a Conceptual
Semantics, John R. Bender, MEng, 2001
- Generalize and Sift as a Model of Inflection Acquisition,
Ramond A. Molnar, MEng, 2001
Theses on Unrelated topics
- On Boosting and Noisy Labels, Chan, MEng, 2014.
- Assessing the Benefits of
DCT Compressive Sensing for Computational Electromagnetics, D'Ambrosio, MEng, 2011.
- Propagation Networks, A Flexible and Expressive Substrate for Computation, Alexey Radul, PhD, 2009.
- Authorship Attribution using Lexical Semantics, Corey Gerritsen, MEng, 2003.
- Using Analogy to Aquire Commonsense Knowledge from Human Contributors, Timothy Chklovski, PhD, 2003.
- A decision rationale management system: capturing, reusing, and managing the reasons for decisions, Jintae Lee, PhD, 1992.